Thursday, March 29, 2012

Me? Organized??

Welp, the neighbors have moved out. I can't tell you how amazing it is to be able to sit in the living room in silence. We can keep the windows open longer than five minutes and NOT smell cigarette smoke. It's simply wonderful. We went to the leasing office this afternoon to renew our lease ( yay!) and he told us that they destroyed the apartment. Profanities all over the walls. Blegh. I feel bad for maintenance. But anyway, it feels good to like being home.

Random thought: When I was living at my parents, tidiness was never a concern for me. My room was always a mess and I never cared. Sure once in a blue moon I decided to clean the closet or something but it wasn't something that took up a lot of thought space in my brain. But now!! I don't know if it's the being married and more domesticated thing but if something isn't put back right, it nags me till it's fixed. Like when I put the toothpaste on the counter instead of in the drawer where it belongs my brain just freaks out and keeps bugging me till I put it away. Or if there's too much clutter in the apartment( the kitchen especially) it bugs the crap out of me! What the heck?? I won't lie...when I moved in after the wedding and about a week or so went by and the bathroom started getting dirty, the kitchen got messier etc, it dawned on me that "oh...that's MY responsibility now". Sad, I know. But my cleaning experience went as far as the chores my mom gave me, and I was never a fan. I really am still not a fan of cleaning at all. Yeah, there is a certain appreciation to feeling accomplished after cleaning a room. But staying on top of it is the real issue for me. I really am trying to get better, and I think I have since the wedding, but it needs to be more routine for me. I'm reading a book on how to be organized. I'm enjoying it, strangely enough but I have some new fun ideas on how to utilize what space we have in the apartment. Organizing closets and cabinet space. It really is quite fun. The book also talks about making lists for each day and what chores to accomplish. But...why can't everything be dust free?? Why can't the carpet stay clean?? Though we don't do much entertaining, I think I should act as though people could pop in whenever. Like, would I really want them walking in when there are papers scattered everywhere, chinchilla food on the floor, dirty dishes all over the counter??? Probably not. If nothing else, I should keep it clean for Kyle. He goes to work all day to give us a place to live and I really have no right to let it get so nasty. See? Make myself feel guilty and maybe I'll suck it up and clean something.

Anyway....I think in my old age I enjoy being organized a lot more. I like lists, I should use them more. I like reorganizing rooms but hate dusting. Eh, I'm changing each day. I'm still so naive and immature, but things like being organized is a step towards maturity, I think anyway. Take it all a day at a time.

Life is good. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Dude....I am the same way. I improved in my dorm, and now with the loft...I despise nay loath clutter. I think it has to do with the fact I have more space and places to organize my mess. I love cleaning and I cannot leave the dishes unattended for long. Yay for domestication! :)

    ReplyDelete